You’re extremely passionate about design and creativity. Your work is thoughtful and in touch with user experience, while also technically executed to solve difficult engineering challenges. You also love the design process and enjoy sketching, mockups, prototyping, CAD, testing, and working in a dynamic environment. You’re highly ambitious, constantly learning, and get satisfaction seeing your products helping thousands of professionals around the world.
- Researching, brainstorming and executing mechanical design concepts in all phases of the development cycle
- Leading hardware design sprints and improving the design process
- Designing next generation products, taking into consideration user experience, aesthetics and DFx
- Fabricating prototypes by hand and coordinating with machine shops and other vendors
- Participating in user interviews to evaluate design concepts
- Executing design validation and test procedures from prototype bring-up to product testing
- Designing test/assembly fixtures to be used for reliability testing, manufacturing and quality control
- Defining mechanical assembly approaches, writing and updating SOPs
- Working closely with manufacturing partners in China to ensure designs are produced to your specifications and meeting product requirements
- Conducting design reviews and managing file release process (drawings, ECNs, SOPs, etc)
- 3+ years of hands-on mechanical product design engineering experience
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing
- Experience with 3D CAD Tools: OnShape, Solidworks, Siemens NX, Fusion 360, Autodesk Inventor, PTC Creo, etc.
- Mechanical design engineering experience of small parts, component design, assembly experience is a plus
- Experience with mechanical design engineering of any of the following: consumer electronics, or small medical devices, or automotive components, or injection molding, or jigs, or tooling, or fixtures, or consumer appliances with tight tolerances will be considered
- Process oriented; validation testing, new product introduction, manufacturing processes, QC and field returns
- Hands-on ability to iteratively design and fabricate prototypes in-house, and manage machine shops and other vendors when needed
- Ability to communicate well with cross-functional team members, and be able to efficiently collaborate to achieve project goals
- Occasional travel to China may be required during product launch
- Experience working with high volume manufacturers and managing supply chain.
- PCB design, material science and programming
- Experience in the creative fields of photography, videography or music production.
- Fluency in Mandarin and reading/writing Chinese would be an asset but not required.
Why this role will be awesome for you
- You will own the entire mechanical platform and see your parts come off the manufacturing line at high volume, then shipped to customers in 50+ countries around the world
- Learn at an extremely fast pace, across multiple domains
- Make a large impact on the business and user experience as part of a small yet talented team
- Work in the heart of the innovation district and be part of the tight knit startup community in KW
- Access to creative tools and our supported suite of applications, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Capture One, Final Cut Pro, and more
- Team lunches and social events
- Ship product to thousands of photographers, filmmakers, artists and developers worldwide and help them do their best work!
Monogram inspires creativity and productivity by designing adaptable tools that fit. Its first generation product was launched on Kickstarter in 2013 and received outstanding reviews by thousands of photographers and video editors in over 150 countries. Its award-winning design was also used in the making of The Lion King (2019) and on stage at Madison Square Garden. The company graduated from HAX, Velocity Garage and Creative Destruction Lab incubators, and funded by prominent venture capital firms SOSV, Extreme Venture Partners and MaRS IAF. Monogram is headquartered in Kitchener, Canada. Learn more at monogramcc.com/about/
If you think you would be a great fit, please email us via the link below. Come join an awesome team and let’s build something great together!